All the SEO, increased traffic, and compelling content in the world means little if you neglect an equally important element of bigger and better website marketing â€“ asking for the sale!
Granted, the â€œsaleâ€ you're asking for may not involve a monetary exchange at all, at least not initially. What you want to do is get your customers in the door with a call to action they cannot refuse, be it a free consultation, trial size product or newsletter signup. From there, of course, you can â€œupsellâ€ them on the products or services that your business is really all about.
In addition to references within the main website text itself, your call to action should also be incorporated into a prominent button on the page. For instance, CyberMark includes a â€œFree Website Evaluationâ€ button on every page of our site.
When creating call to action buttons, consider:
- Size. There is no set standard. Just be sure it's big enough to stand out from the other elements on the page, but not so big that it distracts from your overall message.
- Placement. Most agree that the top of the page is best for call to action buttons. The top left tends to be favored but the top right can be equally effective. That said, you may also include other call to action buttons in the middle of the page and at the bottom of the page â€“ with the same message but in a different format, such as a simple text link.
- White space. Surround your call to action button with white space to help ensure that it jumps off the page.
- Contrasting colors. Another way to help ensure that your call to action button stands out is a design that uses a combination of colors that is different from other color combos on your site.
- Compelling text. Whatever the offer, make it clear in as few words as possible, like â€œfree consultationâ€ or â€œfree ebook.â€
In fact, offering prospective customers something free first is one of the most effective website marketing tools of all. Look for ideas in tomorrow's post â€“ Free Offers for Bigger and Better Website Marketing in 30 Days.
Throughout this blog series, â€œ30 Days to Bigger and Better Website Marketing,â€ please direct any questions to our contact us page or ask via the comments section of this blog.