In the past few years, you may have noticed that social plugins such as the Facebook like button are becoming all the rage, and with good reason. Studies show that consumers are significantly more likely to check out content shared by their social connections. Following in the footsteps of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others, Google has officially launched the +1 button, which allows users to recommend web content to other users.
When users +1'd content, it can show up in the search results of a wide variety of social connections, including the following:
- Users in their Gmail (or Google Talk) chat list
- Users in their My Contacts group in their Google contacts
- Users they're publicly connected to through social sites, such as Twitter and FriendFeed, that are also connected to your Google Account or Google profile
- Users they're following in Google Reader and Google Buzz
- Users who are public connections of their immediate, public social connections. (i.e. If you follow a friend on Twitter, his or her connections could be included in your social connections)
Moreover, +1'd content recommended by social connections can figure more prominently in search results.
So, why should you consider adding Google +1 and/or other social plugins to your products, blogs, photos, videos and other sharable web content? Think about these figures provided by Facebook (source: Social Media Today):
- On average, media sites integrated with Facebook social media plugins have seen a 300% increase in referral traffic.
- Daily revenue for children's clothing retailer Tea Collection increased tenfold after adding the Like button to its products.
- ABCNews.com, Washington Post and The Huffington Post are said to have more than doubled their referral traffic from Facebook since adding social plugins.
Essentially, websites integrated with social plugins have noticed increases in web traffic, conversion rates and sales.
If you would like to add a Google +1 button, or any other social plugin, to your website, we would like to help. Contact us for a free estimate.
Keep up with the latest Internet marketing trends, tips and strategies by following CyberMark on: